The old Beaufort County Jail on King Street was built in 1939, expanded in 1961 and an addition added in 1975. A well-developed example of Art Deco/Moderne architecture, the building has sat vacant and deteriorating for several decades and has become an eyesore in the historic Northwest Quadrant.
But, imagine in less than a year a completely renovated building of 9 individual residential condominiums!
Preserving the historic character of the jail, while at the same time meeting modem housing standards, was a challenge achieved through a strong collaboration among the South Carolina Department of History and Archives, the National Park Service, and award winning architect, Garvin Design Group. Garvin, which has completed numerous historical adaptive-reuse projects, created a design that is both functional and architecturally consistent with the area. The jail is on the National Register of Historic Places as a contributing building to the Beaufort Historic District.
To be renamed Justice Place, the jail will be converted to 9 one- and two-bedroom units, with ample onsite parking and preserved green space, including a grand tree!
Notable features of the jail have been retained and incorporated into the design. As examples, the visiting area has been converted into a breakfast area in one of the units, hallways have been preserved, and portions of jail bars have been used as accents.
Justice Place is conveniently located near the city center, shopping, and will appeal to today’s urban lifestyle.